Sunday, April 27, 2008

RWS 275 March 2, 2008, 4th Sunday in Lent

Gospel: Jn. 9: 1-41

Jesus said...”4 We have to do the works of the one who sent me while it is day.

Night is coming when no one can work…”

Sense of Urgency

By Bishop Precioso D. Cantillas, SDB, DD

As a newly ordained priest, I was then reminded many times that in order to celebrate Mass more meaningfully, I should do so as if it were my last. I found out that such piece of advice was indeed very useful in doing well not only my “job” to say Mass, but also in accomplishing to the best of my ability other works I have to do. The thought of having only one last thing to do before “kicking the bucket” would give me the sense of urgency and importance in the “last act” to be done and the sense of pride that I would be able to say in the end, “I did my best”. This experience I believe would be similarly shared by many and it is worth reflecting on.

Even Jesus Himself felt a sense of urgency and importance in His mission when He said, “we have to do the works of the one who sent me while it is day…” These words would show us two lessons: one, avoid procrastination in our works and two, consider or believe that the work at hand is a mission Our Father wills us to do.

The worker who habitually puts off what he can do at the present moment would certainly fail the expectations of his employer and would also fall short in his sense of self-fulfillment since the great human talents and potentials within him would somehow crave for a correspondingly great accomplishment for them to “feel satisfied”. Moreover, every worker could take pride in the thought that his work is a very important mission to accomplish in life, one which is given by no one less than the Almighty God. A simple task or act of duty of the present moment therefore, done with love and obedience to the Father’s will, would then become a great source for the worker’s sense of self-fulfillment and his eternal satisfaction.

No comments: